The competition is a straight head to head knockout competition between pairs of pictures, the last man standing to be the winner.
- Every full member may enter up to six DPIs (usual size limits apply).
- Any image entered in the Knockout must not have been entered in any previous DPS Competition.
- The images are paired at random and will be shown on the projector screen for 10 seconds.
- The members present will vote by a show of hands for whichever of the two images they prefer (there will be no comments allowed from the floor).
- The image with the most votes will go through to the next round.
- In the event of a tie the chairman will have the casting vote.
- A number of byes will be randomly given to get to ensure that the next round has an even number of images.
- This will continue until there is one winner left.